On the home stretch!
Wow, I can't believe it's finally here! The week we have been waiting over a year for is finally here. This week we leave for Ethiopia to hold our youngest son in our arms for the first time. Even as I type it, I can hardly believe it. It's the strangest feeling in the world. All this time you guard your heart saying, "It's never going to be here." And then, when it is finally here, you still don't believe it. Sure, I'm going through the motions, packing, planning, cleaning...but I don't know if I'm really convinced this is happening. And then, in this really strange, strange, you-can-only-understand-if-you've-been-there sort of way, it's almost kind of sad. Crazy enough, you almost feel a little sad that this process is coming to an end. Sure, the best part is yet to come. The end of this process is what you've been praying for every day since you started...but, you're still a little sad to see it go. No, you don't wish to go through the stress of waiting again, but you wouldn't mind reliving the elation that comes with "the call" or the updates or the "you passed court" or any other number of really exciting things throughout this amazing journey. Weird, I know. But, at least this time I wasn't surprised by the feelings...I went through this with Grayson's adoption as well.
I'm also finding it really difficult to control my neat-freakishness this week. This tends to happen when something big is coming up. No matter how picked up my house is, I feel the need to do more, clean more, straighten more bedspreads, fix more couch pillows, dust more corners, and on and on. I think I'm feeling as if I may never accomplish another thing with 2 toddler boys. And, while things will be a little harder during our transition, I know life will find a "new normal" and in no time I'll be cleaning with the best of them again. But, even those thoughts can't stop me this week! I'm telling you, don't sit still too long, you may get swept up around here!
Okay, okay, enough rambling. I'm taking a much needed break tomorrow and going to the Children's Museum with Rita and Toby. I'm trying to enjoy this last week with Grayson as much as possible!
Here are a few pictures from one of the fountains on Purdue's campus.

5 comments:
Hi Emily!
I was looking through my pictures and im 95% sure I have a picture or two of your little guy! Can you send me an email, ob.kathryn@gmail.com and i'll get that picture to you asap!
Safe travels, we are praying for you guys!
yay! the time has come!! I know what you mean about the sadness. I am so happy for you guys!!!
Emily..I have the weirdest sense of calm and lack of emotions too its weird. I told my husband last night I am so used to the crazy emotions I can't tell if i am so together or in shock but i am on auto pilot...getting things done mode..and obsessed with spending every moment possible with my son and husband before I go. I can't wait to meet you and swap more stories!!
You've been in my thoughts this week, Emily! Thinking of you all so much as you prepare to travel. Love the new photos of Grayson -- you were right outside my office! I can see the fountain from my window. Looking forward to hearing about your journey to ET -- keeping you in our thoughts!
Post a Comment