Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Brothers

Many times in the last couple of months I've kind of questioned our choice to have two boys so close in age. It's not so much that they are close in age, but the fact that we brought one toddler into a house where another toddler was already living (and was master of his domain, might I add). We've had a lot of rough moments where I'm changing a diaper and Grayson has to go potty, NOW! Or, the times when they both fall and get hurt and both come crying, wanting to be picked up and comforted at the same time. Or, the seemingly constant battle over toys.

But, in the last couple of weeks, I've really started to get a glimpse of what life will be like for these two brothers. I've already started to see hints of the type of bond I had/have with my younger sister. Grayson absolutely adores Abram. It may sound strange, but it's almost like a younger sibling looking up to an older sibling. He may talk tough at times, but at the end of the day he just wants Abram to love him as much as he loves Abram. He reminds me so much of myself when he tries to hug and kiss Abram all the time. I was affectionate with my sister to a fault...it drove her nuts! When Abram is in the right mood, it's magical. To see them giving each other kisses and squealing as they hug/wrestle on the floor. But, more often than not, Abram is a little sensitive and grouchy and the affection sends him into a fit! Or, their newest thing, sitting next to each other on the bathroom rug as I get ready in the mornings. If Abram sits on the rug and doesn't land close enough to Grayson, he inches over...so cute.

But what warms my heart the most is Grayson's compassion for his little brother. When he hears him crying his ears perk up and he runs to his rescue. When he sees Abram get hurt, he hangs his head and says, "poor Abram." I can remember my sister getting in trouble and I would be the one in the other room, crying, feeling sorry for her. I can say from experience, Abram will never go a day without an ally ready to stand up for him at a moment's notice. At dinner just the other night, Abram was crying about something (mealtime fits are not uncommon). Just as Aaron and I were getting a little frustrated, Grayson got out of his chair, went to Abram and said, "no more tears Abram, no more tears," as he wiped Abram's tears with a napkin. My heart melted! I am so excited to see what the future brings for these two, and I am so glad they will always have a best friend.

2 comments:

Kat & Stacy said...

that last picture SLAYS me! :-)

Amber said...

Isn't it fun to watch boys become brothers? Such a blessing from God!