Monday, October 18, 2010

Family Learning Day and the Zoo


One of the things I love most about Grayson's school is Family Learning Day. One Saturday each month, families are invited into their child's classroom for a morning of activities. The activities all relate to a specific exhibit they learned about in the weeks prior. It's so great to see Grayson take charge and teach us what he's learned. We had our second family learning day this past Saturday.

I also really love the emphasis that is put on the arts. There are so many things that public schools HAVE to teach children that often there is not much room for art. Already this year, Grayson has learned about Mexican art, African art, glass art (Dale Chihuly specifically), and so on! And, for each type of art that they've learned about, they've done a simple art project as an example. This past week, they learned about the Arctic and visited the new Polar Bears to Penguins exhibit. When I inquired about the art Grayson brought home that day (a huge pile of gluey marshmallows) he said, "it's an igloo!" How cool.

After family learning day on Saturday, we headed to the zoo. It was a nice, fall day and a chance for us to celebrate Grayson's birthday with just the four of us. We had a great day! I'll post about the party tomorrow:) The picture is of Abram watching for dolphins at the zoo.

No comments: