Adjustment-wise, we seem to be making a little progress each day. The last couple of days, Abram has been pretty good about letting me put him down. He's beginning to venture out on his own a little more, exploring the house and toys. All things considered, Grayson has done remarkably well. He, of course, just happens to want to play with everything Abram does at the exact moment Abram does but, that's to be expected. When he's not wanting to be held, Abram is an extremely happy, playful little guy! He has the brightest smile and a beautiful laugh.
Now, we just have to get bedtime figured out. We were a bit spoiled in Ethiopia. Abram would fall right off to sleep on our bed and we would move him to the crib where he would sleep most of the night. If he did wake up, I got him out and he would fall right back to sleep. For the first couple of nights at home, this same tactic worked. I knew it wouldn't be permanent, but it let us get some sleep right after getting home. Well, within a couple of nights, Abram became very sensitive to us laying him in the crib and would wake up screaming as I laid him down. So, we decided it was time to go straight to the crib. We've been doing pretty well laying him in the crib and then sitting on the floor right by the crib holding his hand, etc. Each day is getting a little better, but tonight it took over an hour for him to go to sleep. He also tends to wake up 3 times a night. I'm exhausted. I don't think it helps that he appears to have about 4 teeth coming in. This type of thing is so hard because there is no letting him "cry it out." I can't even imagine letting this little child think that we've walked off and forgotten about him. As hard as it is, we have to build trust. He has to feel safe in his crib and I don't think he does just yet. But, as with everything else, we'll get there.
Here are a few pictures from our time at home!
2 comments:
I am so glad things are going so well - the post and the pictures could almost make me cry. Can you believe it? You're on the other side. What a good mommy you are and what a joyous journey it is!
ellen
Glad you're home and adjusting. Having two is so much fun- and extremely draining! Take advantage of all the help that is offered to you :)
Post a Comment