Thursday, December 18, 2008

This is why we will wait.....

You go along this adoption journey, doing everything everyone asks of you. Sign here, notarize here, re-do this document, this one's too long, this one expired, make this check out to us, that one to them, oh, and that one needs to be a money order. And then, you are finally placed on the waiting list. At this point you're excited, but reserved. You don't want to get too excited because you know you have a long wait. So, you just settle into this rhythm of trying to get through each day, each week, each month, counting the days, but trying not to obsess or even let yourself believe the adoption is really ever going to happen. Then, you kind of stop and think...what are we even waiting for again? Could someone remind me? You've protected yourself from the excitement so much, that you begin to forget what it is you're supposed to be excited about. I walk past the crib set up in the guest room every day and rarely even try to picture it with a child in it. Then, last night I looked up at a picture in the family room and I remembered EXACTLY what we are waiting for....


We are waiting for the day that we get to feel this way about another baby boy. We so often stop and say that we can't imagine any other child as our son, and that's part of the problem, we can't. But, I know that we will. I know that once this little boy becomes a reality, a face, a name, a story, we will feel the same way we felt when we saw Grayson for the first time. I look forward to the day I look up at the pictures in the family room and see BOTH of my boys and think, "I can't imagine any other boys being our sons." And this is why we will wait.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Emily, you are so right! It is so hard to picture yourself with another child-- I remember crying when I was pregnant with Brecken thinking I could not picture myself as crazy about him as I was for Kaitlin. Then he came and it was like our hearts grew! Such a neat time!