Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day weekend

We had a nice time this weekend. Saturday we went down to Indy with our friends, Drew and Katrina. We had lunch at Red Robin then headed to the Children's Museum. It was SUPER busy. I'm not sure if it was something to do with it being Engineering Day or if it was Valentine's Day or if it was a little of both. Grayson had a really good time, as usual, but it was a little worrisome for us as we were afraid if we looked away for a split second he would disappear in the crowd. Luckily, we made it home with as many as we left with!

On the adoption front, nothing new! I have found a new peace and patience that I was
lacking last week. The thought that this WILL happen and probably relatively soon were comforting. I can't begin to tell you what a blessing being in Bible Study Fellowship has been for me this year. Not only is it a great way to dive into God's word and a nice activity a couple of days a week (not to mention the hours of lessons and lesson plans). But, more than anything, it has allowed me to truly see God's work in my life. I have prayed everday for patience during this adoption, and each day, much to my amazement, I find just enough patience for the day, or hour, or minute. And, sometimes it is a minute-by-minute thing. But, I find I can pause, think to myself, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord," or sometimes I find comfort in, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you," and if those don't work, "My grace is sufficient...My strength is made perfect in weakness," always does the trick.

It's interesting to look back and see how much I've grown since Grayson's adoption. Each day I prayed that things would go quickly and for Grayson's safety and so on. But, I don't feel I ever truly trusted God. I still wanted t
o control the situation - I wanted my will to be done, not His. And, when Grayson did finally come home, I was certainly grateful to God and have been every day since, knowing that is was His grace and mercy that led us to Grayson. But, I never truly trusted that God would take care of us. And, I certainly never entertained the thought that His will may be different than ours. This time, not only do I completely trust God with this adoption, I also realize there is always the possibility that something could happen that would prevent this adoption from happening - that's just the way international adoption and life work. And, though I would be devestated, and would grieve the loss of this child that we have imagined for so long now, even this could not cause me to doubt God and His plan for our lives.

As a disclaimer, t
his is not to say that I will never have moments of impatience or even moments of sadness and "why, God" questions. But, this is to say that I am putting this adoption and my life in God's hands and letting Him do things in His perfect timing.

Okay, that wasn't sup
posed to be so long....here are some pictures from the weekend!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Emily,

Thank you for a post that added to the peace that is setting in. Your day is coming soon (and maybe mine too) - I love the photos of Grayson! He is adorable and he looks like he had such a nice time! If we truly believe this is in God's hands, then His timing will be absolutely perfect. I knew Friday the week was over for us. Mary and I had corresponded about a file item that needs updating and she closed with have a nice weekend. What a gift, I knew by noon there would not be a call and could focus on our marriage retreat. It looks like you are finding similar peace. This is getting exciting though and it is nice to know that there are others who understand!

Peace

Anonymous said...

Oh, great thoughts Emily!! That was an encouragement to me today!