Saturday, December 04, 2010

Our big announcement:)

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, we surprised our family with exciting news. We're adopting again! Yeah, a big surprise, huh? We're adopting from Ethiopia again, but this time we're requesting a girl! I think a girl will provide the perfect balance in our house:) Plus, I don't think I can go another year without buying baby dolls, Barbies, doll houses, etc. And, let's face it, I want to go prom dress shopping someday and plan a wedding. I love my boys...more than anything. But, how many sons do you know who come crying to their mom when something's wrong? Or, call their mom on a daily basis, just to talk. I don't think I could go through life and not have the relationship with a child that I have with my mom. This isn't to say that I don't think I will be close to my sons as adults. I know we will always be a very close-knit family. But, a mom and her daughter are just different than a mother and son. Adults sons have families of their own to provide for, care for, and keep happy. It's a big job, and one that keeps them very busy. So, I will certainly be more than understanding if my adult sons don't call me every day. But, I hope one day, my daughter will stay at home to care for her children, and when bored, will give me a call:)

Now, I also need to share how it was that Aaron and I came to this big decision to adopt again and all the ways God has already had His hand in this adoption.

I should first mention that after Abram came home, we (I) had decided that was our last adoption. I was getting tired of the financial stress it was putting on our family. I was so ready to just be out of debt. But, the Lord had different plans for us. A few months ago, Aaron accepted a job that changed things for us. Suddenly, we couldn't use the, "we can't afford it" excuse. And, quite frankly, as we began praying for guidance in how to grow our family, it became quite clear that adoption was God's plan. Within days of our prayers, we began noticing adoption all around us. At least 3 nights in a row, when we sat down to watch TV or a movie, the show would involve an adoption. Aaron suddenly started getting lots of comments and compliments on the boys when out in public. I had several people come up to me and say, " God bless your family," or something of that nature. So, it didn't take us long to see where God was leading us. But, for whatever reason, we went a couple more months without making any decisions. We kept wavering between domestic and international. There's a huge part of me that likes to take control and try to find the quickest route to achieving a goal. I was searching for the "fastest" adoption program. Aaron's heart was still in Ethiopia. Then, one day, standing in the sanctuary in bible study, God spoke to me clearer than He ever has in my 27 (almost 28) years. He literally, out of nowhere, answered a question that I hadn't even asked myself. Literally, out of thin air, I heard myself say, "it's because you don't trust Me." It took me a minute to realize that the question was, "why haven't you settled on Ethiopia." And, in that moment, I immediately knew He was right. I didn't trust Him to get us through another long wait....another emotional rollercoaster....another difficult transition. I didn't trust Him. It took me a couple of days, but I told Aaron about my unbelievably clear message from God. I knew it was what we were supposed to do, and Aaron had known for some time but didn't want to push. So, a couple of days later, I filled out our application. Then, I let it sit on the table for a few more days. I finally mailed it the week before Thanksgiving. That night, my fortune cookie at dinner said, "to reach distant places, you have to take the first step." I don't believe in fortunes, but I do believe God can use anyone/anything to send His message (even a donkey). Okay Lord, I get it. You are in control.

And so, here we go again:)

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Congratulations! It is AWESOME how the Lord works! Your experience almost mirrors ours (only real differece is the job thing) but God spoke VERY clearly the same message "you dont trust me..." That was so hard to hear but at the same time great because it helped us also realize that with the Lord all is possible....and now we wait to bring home our son!! Many blessings on your new journey!

Elisabeth said...

Again, I am so very happy for you guys!!

Jana said...

Congratulations! What happy, happy news!