Sunday, May 10, 2009

Finally getting around to the details!

Whew! Things have been absolutely crazy around here since 4:06 p.m. on Wednesday, May 6th! Let me start by saying that there is no such thing as a bad day to receive a referral. However, if there was one day last week that would've have been super crazy to get the call, it was Wednesday! I volunteer on Wednesday evenings and Aaron had called earlier to say that he was doing some consulting work right after work. Now, he has not been called in to do consulting for the last 8.5 months...no joke. So, I was on the phone with him at about 4:05; he was leaving work and heading to his next assignment. If I had been thinking about the referral call at all that day, it was the last thing on my mind when someone was beeping in on the other line (thank goodness for call waiting)! I looked at the phone, saw Gladney's number and quickly told Aaron I had to go. The next couple of minutes went like this:

Me: Hello
Jessica: Emily, how are you?
Me: Oh, pretty good.
Jessica: Well, I got your email and I thought these things would be best handled by calling.
Me: (trying to hide disappointment) Oh, okay.
Jessica: Especially when I have a referral for you!
Me: Oh my goodness...I was going to say....if you called me just to talk about my email....!!!
Jessica: I wouldn't do that.

At that point I told Jessica I would call Aaron immediately and he would be home in 15 minutes. I called Aaron and told him to get home right away! I have to say, after over 8 months of waiting, when the call finally came, a peace just kind of washed over me. I was excited, but not sobbing, or hysterical, or about to jump out of my skin. It was just so nice knowing when I would get to see our little boy for the first time. At that point, I felt like I could wait longer if I needed to...as long as I knew when it would be. The uncertainty is the hardest part.

So, Aaron got home just a few minutes later and we sat and waited for Jessica to call back. The three of us gathered in the office and we prayed. We thanked God for the news we were about to receive. We praised Him for giving us the strength to make it to this point in the wait. And then, we asked Him to stand beside us through our call just as He had been doing for the last 8 months. We asked Him to prepare our hearts for some of the things we may hear....some of the heartbreaking news we would most definitely learn about our son. Because, we knew that our wonderful gift of a son means death, pain, and heartache for others. We asked Him to help us be sure that this was the son He had chosen for us before the beginning of time.

Jessica then sent us the emails with his information and pictures. We opened the pictures and just smiled and laughed....he's beautiful! We knew he would have tough shoes to fill seeing as that Grayson is the most handsome, beautiful, stunning little boy I've ever seen. Let me tell you, we now have TWO handsome, beautiful, stunning little boys! He has the biggest, brightest, brownest, olive shaped eyes and eyelashes that go on for miles! He just looks so happy and healthy; such a blessing! When we saw that he is almost a year old we were ecstatic. Grayson will have a best friend and sibling all in one like I do! I can't wait to see what these two will get in to!

We have decided to name our little guy Abram K. Jarvis, keeping his birth name as his middle name. We are so extremely blessed to have the opportunity to bring this child into our lives....so, bring on a court date!!!

The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people, and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you. I will make your name great and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you.." Gen. 12:1-3

7 comments:

Amber said...

So happy for you!

Elisabeth said...

I love this post - the scripture gives me goosebumps. Oh Emily, I am so happy for you!!!

Chris and Dawn said...

I love to read all the details! I can't imagine what finally getting the call feels like. I hope I'm able to put two sentences together!

Wendi and Mark said...

Thanks so much for sharing more details about 'the call' -- how fun! We've been thinking of you all so much. Congratulations again!

Wendi and Mark

Anonymous said...

I always love reading about "the call." Congratulations again!

Robin said...

I love reading the referral details. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Congratulations!!!

Jebena said...

So sweet...I especially loved reading how "peaceful" and full of prayers before our Father you were---many blessings family!