Monday, June 08, 2009

Making progress...

Well, our court date is quickly approaching....only 10 more days for those of you who dare lose track! And, I'm beginning to feel as if we are ready to add another little one to our house, logistically speaking. As I mentioned, I've gotten clothes and toys together. This past weekend, I put some final touches on the nursery...just a few decorative items left to add here and there.

I'm also beginning to feel like I have a handle on all that will need to be packed if we do in fact pass on the 18th. Thanks to a local family that has gone before us, the Darlings, I have some great advice on what kind of foods to take for Abram as well as how to go about packing our humanitarian aid. The travel packet we received from our agency mentions that children over 12 mos. old are drinking whole fat powdered milk. Nestle Nido is the specific brand. I remember seeing this A LOT in Guatemala, in fact, Nestle Nido was the brand of formula Grayson was on. So, I thought I would try the Hispanic foods section at Wal-Mart and sure enough, there it was! So, that's a relief. I also need to figure out the bottle situation. I may take a sippy cup or two, but I think he may still take a bottle at night, if not all the time. We of course have the Dr. Brown's bottles which seem like a sanitary nightmare with all their pieces. I think I'll grab some basic Gerber bottles for the trip, or, maybe the Playtex with disposable liners...AHHH, maybe I am no where near ready!

I'm also educating myself on caring for Abram's hair. Unlike me, who needs to shampoo my hair DAILY to avoid looking like a grease pit, Abram will need to hang on to the oi
l. Shampooing too often can cause his hair and scalp to become too dry. Part of caring for his hair will also include a rinse-out conditioner as well as a leave-in conditioner that can be used in between washes. It's also important to avoid certain chemicals as they can make his hair more brittle and/or clog his pores and retard hair growth. So, I'm thinking of going with a line of products called It's a Curl and Curly Q. A local family and friend use these products for their son and love them.

Okay, so enough with packing and hair care details...here are a few pics of the nursery. Grayson is kind of like "Where's Waldo" in the first couple!

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I LOVE your nursery. You sound so much more ready than I am. I am spinning my wheels here! Are you getting excited about court?

Chris and Dawn said...

How sweet! A friend gave us the same rocker but it's the tiger! :) I feel so behind looking at your nursery! I've got to get busy!!!

Jebena said...

Hey, we have that rocker too! On another note, leave Dr. Browns for home (Dr. Brown's are quality bottles---but the washing with the green brush thingy is a no-go when traveling)...the Playtex drop-ins are a lot less fussy and easier to handle.

Ryane said...

Looks great! One week from tomorrow!! YAY!