Wednesday, October 08, 2008

6 weeks waiting....halfway to the "window?"

Today marks 6 weeks on the waiting list. Gladney has officially changed the wait time from 3-5 months to 3-6 months. So, technically, we're about halfway to entering the "window," the time in which we may receive a referral. However, I can't tell you the last time I saw anyone receive a referral in less than 4 months. So, in order to keep myself from getting too anxious upon entering the window period, I am setting my own window period of 4-6 months. This means I don't expect to hear about a referral before Christmas. I think I have to begin thinking this way so that I don't set myself up for disappointment. I know I will be getting anxious around the holidays and just want to know who our baby is going to be. The Christmas after receiving Grayson's referral was definitely hard. We knew who he was, we had seen his face, heard his voice over the phone, and already loved him. But, rather than being able to spend the holiday as a family, we instead had to settle for looking at adorable pictures of him in his Christmas sleeper and opening presents that people had gotten for him without him. It was a very bittersweet holiday season. I really hope that if I can get in the mindset that it will be January or February before we receive a referral, I can thoroughly enjoy the holidays this year. This will only be Grayson's 2nd Christmas home with us, and it will be his first that he understands a little about what is going on. I want to be able to completely enjoy these milestones in his life and our life as a family of 3. This will be the 2nd, and last Christmas as the 3 of us! Santa's Christmas expenditures are about to double! I am really looking forward to establishing some traditions of our own this Christmas. I think we will go and buy a real tree this year. I'm excited to decorate the tree together, bake Christmas cookies, and all the little things I remember about Christmas as a kid. I bought an advent house last year after Christmas, so I look forward to putting little pieces of candy in the house and starting our countdown on December 1st. Maybe I should put little Thomas stickers in it. I think Grayson would enjoy the Thomas much more than candy.

No comments: