Thursday, September 11, 2008

BSF and the YMCA

Today was the first day of Bible Study Fellowship! Until Grayson turns 2, he will be going to the YMCA while I go to bible study. Aaron and I were both a little nervous about Grayson being at the YMCA for almost 3 hours. I have to admit I actually had knots in my stomach on the drive there. But, he did extremely well. I took him in to the little toy room and told him I was leaving and would be back soon. He watched me all the way out the door but didn't cry! When I came to pick him up he was playing and was very excited to show me what he had been playing with. I thought I might never get him out of there! He was in a very good mood and "danced" all the way out to the car.

Since today was my first day of BSF, I was with a group of other newcomers and filled out registration cards and listened to the introduction of what BSF was all about. That part was a little boring since I knew a lot about it from Mom having gone for several years. I was ready to just dive in! But, it sounds like there will be room in the class for both me and Grayson and I should be getting a call from my small group discussion leader in the next couple of days. I'll have to say I was a little surprised that the average age of the women attending was much higher than I thought! It just really made me realize once again that stay-at-home Mom is becoming a thing of the past. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to see my neighbor Laura! She and her family are one of the families in Lafayette adopting from Ethiopia! So, it was very nice to have a familiar face in the crowd.

Since I was busy filling out registration stuff and haven't yet been assigned to a group, I didn't participate in any of the small group discussions. However, I did get to stay for the lecture at the end where all the small groups come together. I couldn't believe my ears when the first verse we looked at was Genesis 12:1-3! This is the verse where God asks Abram to leave his country, his people, and his fathers' household! Wow, could it be any clearer that our next son should and will be named Abram? So, I think we're sold on Abram Beckett (insert African birth name) Jarvis!

So, I had a few minutes this morning before we left and snapped a couple pictures of Grayson. I know, it's not like it was his first day of school or anything, but a monumental moment nonetheless! Enjoy!



No comments: